Old Maps Collection
Plan de la ville et du port de Macao
Bellin, Jacques-Nicolas, 1703-1772, cartographer
JPEG 2000, 2067 × 3045, 954KB
[ca. 1:2,800] (E 113°32'49"/N 22°11'59")
Physical Map Dimension (cm):
22 x 17 cm, on sheet 31 x 21 cm
The map depicts a stylized built-up area typical of a plan but the city walls and fortifications in considerable detail which might imply a military use to the map. It identifies the Border Gate with an explanation of its purpose; the Green Island used by the Jesuits; the Chinese village Wangxia -here unnamed-; the A-Ma Temple -named only as 'Pagode Chinoise'. However the most detail is given to military information such as where the vessels are built in Wanzai -Isle des pretres-; the location of the harbours; the major fortification of the Monte -here named N.D. de la Montaigne-; the Barra fortress -named S.t Jacques et S.t Philippe-; the bastion of Nossa Senhora do Bom Parto -N.D.e de Bomparto- and even a shore battery under the Guia fort -Nossa Senhora da Guia- where a lighthouse was built some years later.
Original is a printed map in the 'Le petit atlas maritime ; recueil de cartes et plans des quatre parties du monde', 32 x 28 cm.
16-point compass rose with a fleur de lis indicating north. The rhumb lines for the half-winds are doted.
Scale line in black and white interchangeably under the title.
Relief shown pictorially and by hachures.
Map outlined in double fillet.
Macao and its surroundings.
City plans of Macao.
Tome III, n.º 57
Petit atlas maritime ; recueil de cartes et plans des quatre parties du monde
Bellin, Jacques-Nicolas, 1703-1772
Library of Congress
Provenance Call No.:
G7823.M2 1764 .B38 TIL