Old Maps Collection
Carte de la baie de Kouang-Tchéou-Wan et de la presqu'ile de Leï-Tchéou
L.L. Poates Engr'g Co., printer
Physical Map Dimension (cm):
27 x 25 cm, on sheet 32 x 32 cm
The map depicts Guangzhouwan (Kouang-Tchéou-Wan), a small enclave situated in Guangdong Province on the southern coast of China on the east side of the Leizhou Peninsula. It was ceded by Qing China to France as a leased territory and administered as an outlier of French Indochina. The capital of the territory was Zhanjiang (Leï-Tchéou-Fou, also known as Tsankiang, Chankiang, and Tsamkong). The ceded territory included the islands lying in the bay, which enclosed an area 29 km long by 10 km wide and a minimum water depth of 10 meters. The islands were recognized at the time as an admirable natural defense, the main island being Donghai Dao (Tong-Haï). On the smaller Naozhou Island (Nao-Tchéou) a lighthouse was constructed. Japan occupied the territory in February 1943 and the French never regained it after World War II. China occupied the territory following the surrender of Japan and France formally retroceded it with the Chungking Convention of 18 August 1945.
Original is a printed map.
On the left bottom corner of the map: "L.L. Poates Co. N.Y."
Scale line in kilometers underneath the title of the map.
Map with graticule.
Relief shown by hachures.
Map outlined in double fillet.
Leizhou Shi (China)
Vol. 1, [pl. 4]
Treaties and agreements with and concerning China : 1894-1919
MacMurray, John Van Antwerp, 1881-1960
Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal
Provenance Call No.:
H.G. 19138 V.